Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Diabetes Blog Week - Day 2

Day 2 – Making the low go. Tell us about your favorite way to treat a low. Juice? Glucose tabs? Secret candy stash? What’s your favorite thing to indulge in when you are low? What do you find brings your blood sugar up fast without spiking it too high?

when i get low, i get pissed.

it's a rare occasion that i want to eat or drink something that is pure sugar, and when these occasions do arise, it's usually only because that something is staring me in the face (read: when my candy-obsessed father is shoveling sour patch kids right next to me).  otherwise, any craving for pure sweetness can be quenched with a fake sweet, like sugar free jell-o or crystal lite.

instead of treating with the usual suspects, i go for things that are not CDE-approved to treat lows.  my favorites are nature valley granola bars and tasti d'lite ice cream cones.  both have fat and protein, which means they are not absorbed nearly as quickly as juice or a glucose tab, but i would rather sit and wait for my low to come up while i enjoy my ice cream cone than suck down a juice box that is totally unappealing to me.  

i should note that being a newbie, i've never had any really bad lows.  my lowest on record is 50 mg/dL, and since i feel low at 75 mg/dL, i can only imagine what 30 mg/dL feels like.  if i feel so awful that i wouldn't even be able to enjoy my food if i tried, i will go for fruit snacks or gummies to get up quickly.  if i'm near a tasti d'lite (my favorite thing in the world) and below 65 mg/dL, sometimes i'll get my cone with sprinkles to speed up the process.  but even tonight, when i was 60 mg/dL 1.5 hours after dinner, i had to find the tasti and get a cone, rather than go for the multiple treatment options i have in my purse, and i stayed away from the sprinkles for fear of a high later on.

lows are really awful, and i think we should be able to, at the very least, enjoy what we're forced to consume.  no juice boxes or glucose tabs for me, thank you very much!