Monday, May 17, 2010

Diabetes Blog Week - Day 3

Day 3 – Your Biggest Supporter. Sure, our diabetes care is ultimately up to us and us alone. But it’s important to have someone around to encourage you, cheer you, and even help you when you need it. Today it’s time to gush and brag about your biggest supporter. Is it your spouse or significant other? Your best friend, sibling, parent or child? Maybe it’s your endo or a great CDE? Or perhaps it’s another member of the D-OC who is always there for you? Go ahead, tell them just how much they mean to you!

when i saw this prompt, i had a bit of a panic.  who could i really say is my 'biggest' supporter?  everyone plays such different, and yet important, roles.  there's my mom, who was in the emergency room with me the very second we found out my life would change forever, who patiently tried to answer all my questions about this disease as i attempted to wrap my mind around this seemingly unreal situation, and who now listens and consoles me whenever i feel the need to whine or complain about highs/lows, pump issues, etc.  she definitely has the more patience for my carping than anyone else in my life.

and then there's my dad, who lives far away but flew up to take me home from the hospital, called me every day for weeks after to ask "how my sugars are," and has been a huge source of support for me whenever i need it.

my dad's wife, kim, my friend and family member. one of the most understanding and kind people i know.  her willingness to listen and her prior understanding of diabetes makes her an invaluable supporter. 

my roommate/best friend ashley - how could i do it without her?  she's been learning about diabetes along with me, and she is one of those who really "gets it."  she's incredibly sensitive to my needs without being patronizing or treating me delicately.

my far away best friend, julia.  my co-workers.  my brothers.  my aunt judi.  cousin caroline.  diabetic buddies jeniece, brianna, etc.  this amazing DOC community.  there truly is not one person who is more important than the next when it comes to supporting me and my life with diabetes.  they all play a roll and help in different ways.  it would be unfair to say otherwise.

3 comments:

olivejooice said...

yay, I can comment again!!

You are very blessed to have so many great people in your life!

Sarah said...

thanks brenda :)

thisiscaleb said...

It's nice to hear that you have so much depth to your support system.